Tuesday 8 October 2013

“Imagination has the ability to take you anywhere you want to go” Floella Benjamin talk.





"If they weren't strong, they were dead, they were gone."



Smiles, hugs and inspiration were among the many things Floella Benjamin distributed on Saturday the 5th of October in the Forum Auditorium. She coated them in song, dance and a dramatic story telling of her journey from a young girl growing up in Trinidad coming to England.

Of her three gifts to us on that day, she endorsed smiling through laughter, constant compliments and courage in the face of adversity and inconvenience. From the first few seconds of encountering her, I could tell she practiced what she preached. Her radiance and personality exuded happiness and accomplishment. She hugged everyone in the room that day and ended the afternoon in what is probably the biggest group hug I will ever participate in in my life.

But above it all, her words of wisdom were unparalleled to any I have ever heard. “Imagination has the ability to take you anywhere you want to go” were her words. Confidence, contentment and consideration are her three C’s. Family, friends, forgiveness and individuality have been her companions throughout her life.

There was a personal sense of pride in meeting her. She signified for me, not only the ambition and ability of black people but the well deserved progress and the eliteness of black women in the world today.

When Baroness Floella Benjamin was done speaking and ended her talk in a heart warming song, her story and her presence left everyone in awe and our minds were so stunned that it took a good few seconds before applauds could break out. When they did, they echoed across the hall. She inspired, she motivated, she advised. She fed souls and on that day, she made us aware of how perseverance, confidence, opportunity and good will can enable us to withstand the obstacles and challenges of life.


Thank you Baroness Floella Benjamin for what will always be one of the most memorable moments of my life.

Disun Vera-Cruz
ACS President


Jack Gilbert, 4th year, Law:
The talk was very engaging and active, very inspirational with real-life examples of theoretical thoughts, with great reflection upon the society as a whole.



Alan Omogbai, 4th year Law:
Life changing. I Felt like I was meant to be here. It was a monumental life event. I will look back on today, at this moment, as one that changed my life.


Tumi Sotire, 3rd year Clinical Science:
Very inspiring. She didn't just talk to us, she performed. She encouraged me to have an open mind about the world around me.


Awele Ikenwe, 3rd year Law
Phenomenal. After this, I feel like I can conquer the world. I Feel more proud than ever to be black.

No comments:

Post a Comment